The Things I Couldn't Remember: When Forgetting Started Scaring Me

  I never thought forgetting something could scare me.

We all forget things don't we? 

Sometimes we forget where we kept our keys, what someone told us a few hours ago or why we walked into a room. I have forgotten things many times in my life too. But a few days ago something happened that made me stop and think about my own memory in a way I never had before.

A few days ago, I took my medicine. At least I thought I did. Then suddenly, I couldn't remember whether I had actually taken it or not. I tried to remember the moment. I thought about where I was sitting what I was doing before taking it and what happened afterward. I kept going back and forth in my mind trying to find even one small detail that could tell me what had happened.

I spent almost an hour thinking about it. But nothing came back. I couldn't say with confidence "Yes, I took it." I couldn't say "No, I didn't." I simply didn't know. 

And that feeling was strange.

It wasn't that I had forgotten someone's name or misplaced something. I couldn't remember whether I had done something myself just a short while ago. For some reason, that frightened me more than I expected.

Then I remembered another incident from a few days earlier.

Someone had given me some work to do. Later, I genuinely thought I had already completed it. I wasn't pretending that I had done it. I actually believed that I had. Then that person reminded me about the work. And suddenly, I remembered.

But what shocked me wasn't just that I had forgotten the task. It was that I had completely forgotten that I had forgotten it.

I couldn't remember when I had received the work, what I had planned to do with it or even why I thought I had already completed it. I just had this strange feeling that I had done it when in reality, I hadn't.

I started thinking about all these little incidents more carefully.

Maybe I was overthinking. Maybe I was tired. Maybe I was distracted. Maybe there was a perfectly simple explanation.

But then something else happened.

Then that day, I tried to remember a particular moment from a few years back. It wasn't something I had never experienced. I knew that moment had happened. I knew there was a memory there somewhere.

So I tried to find it.

I closed my eyes and tried to picture the place. I tried to remember the people who were there, what I was doing their, what I might have been feeling. I kept searching my mind for that one particular moment.

But I couldn't find it.

Nothing.

The harder I tried to remember, the more frustrated I became. I started asking myself, "Why can't I remember this?" I kept trying again and again, almost as if forcing myself to remember would somehow bring the memory back.

But it didn't.

And that's when I realized something had changed in the way I was thinking about my own memory.

I have forgotten things before. Of course I have. Everyone does. But I had never really stopped to notice it. This time, I was noticing every little thing I couldn't remember, and once I started noticing, I couldn't stop thinking about it. A forgotten task suddenly felt important. A missing detail suddenly felt frightening.

A memory from years ago that I couldn't recall suddenly made me question my own mind.

I started becoming frustrated with myself.

"Why is this happening to me?"

"Why can't I remember something so simple?"

"Was I always like this and never noticed?"

The questions kept coming. And honestly, I didn't have any answers. So instead of sitting alone with my assumptions and letting my mind create its own explanations, I decided to consult a doctor.

I decided not to keep guessing anymore.

The uncertainty was starting to bother me more than the actual incidents themselves. So I booked an appointment with a doctor.

Sitting in the waiting room, I kept replaying everything in my mind again and again. The medicine incident. The forgotten task. The memory I couldn’t retrieve no matter how hard I tried. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting from this visit but I knew I needed clarity.

When my turn finally came, I walked into the doctor’s cabin.

He asked me to sit down and simply said, “Tell me what’s been happening.”

I started explaining everything slowly. At first, I felt a little awkward, like maybe I was overreacting. But as I spoke, I realized how much these small incidents had been affecting me mentally. I told him about forgetting whether I had taken my medicine, about the work I thought I had completed but hadn’t, and about the memory from years ago that I just couldn’t recall.

He listened without interrupting.

When I finished, there was a short silence.

Then he asked me a few simple questions about my sleep, my daily routine, stress levels, screen time and how often I felt mentally tired. I answered honestly and the more I spoke, the more I started noticing patterns I had ignored before.

  1. Long working hours.
  2. Irregular sleep.
  3. Constant mental pressure.
  4. Multitasking all the time without real breaks.

He didn’t look alarmed. In fact, he seemed quite calm. After a moment, he said something that stayed with me.

“Your memory isn’t necessarily failing. It’s overloaded.”

He explained that when the mind is constantly under stress or fatigue it doesn’t always store or retrieve information properly. It’s not always about a serious medical issue. Sometimes, it’s about how we are treating our own mental health in daily life.

He told me that forgetting small things occasionally is normal but when the mind is overworked even simple things start slipping.

Then he added, “You’re not broken. You’re just tired.”

That sentence hit me more than I expected. I had walked into that room thinking something might be seriously wrong with me. But instead, I was being told that I might just need rest, balance and better care of my routine.

As I left the clinic, I didn’t feel scared anymore. I felt aware.

  1. Aware of how easily we ignore our own limits.
  2. Aware of how quickly we assume the worst about ourselves.
  3. And most importantly, aware of how important it is to pause before panic takes over.
  4. Maybe the real problem wasn’t that I was forgetting things.
  5. Maybe the real problem was that I had stopped noticing how exhausted I had become.

And for the first time in days, I didn’t feel like I needed to chase every missing memory. I just needed to slow down and take care of myself a little better. Maybe there is nothing serious behind these experiences. Maybe there is something I need to change in my routine. Maybe stress, tiredness, distraction or something else is affecting me. I don't know yet.

And I think that's something we often forget.

When something unusual happens to us, our minds immediately jump to the worst possible conclusion. We search the internet. We compare ourselves with other people. We start imagining possibilities before we even know what is actually happening.

Fear starts answering questions that we haven't even asked a professional. But I didn't want to do that. I wanted to understand instead of assuming. And this whole experience has made me think about how little attention we sometimes give to ourselves.

  1. We notice when our phone battery is low.
  2. We notice when our laptop starts slowing down.
  3. We notice when our car makes a strange sound.

But when something feels different inside us, we often ignore it.

  1. We tell ourselves, "It's nothing."
  2. We keep working.
  3. We keep going.
  4. We keep pretending everything is normal.

Maybe taking care of ourselves also means noticing the small changes. Not panicking over them. Not diagnosing ourselves But simply paying attention.

For the past few days, I've been frustrated by the things I couldn't remember. But perhaps instead of being angry with myself, I need to be a little more patient with myself.

I don't know what these moments mean yet and I don't want to create an answer before I actually have one. But I do know one thing now.

Sometimes, the things we forget can remind us of something very important.

We spend so much time remembering our responsibilities, our deadlines, our promises, our work and the people around us. But somewhere between remembering everything else, we often forget to check on ourselves.

Maybe that's what I needed to learn from these strange few days. Not to be afraid of every forgotten moment. Not to ignore them either. Just to listen to myself a little more carefully. Because sometimes, forgetting something isn't just a moment of forgetfulness. Sometimes, it is a quiet reminder to stop, pay attention, and ask ourselves:

"Am I taking care of myself the way I take care of everything else?"

A warm, peaceful desk with a notebook, pen, books, tea and green plants, featuring the title “The Things I Couldn't Remember: When Forgetting Started Scaring Me” and @mehfuza_sultana.



Comments

Popular Posts